Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Make that out to...

The other day we were lounging around the pool enjoying the Texas heat of a thousand suns with some friends. My lovely wife was telling some of them about this blog. “He writes stories, and mostly about the Buckeyes.” I disagreed, as I thought I sprinkled in much more variety, if not just outright scatter shooting. So the results are just in and it turns out that only about 25% of the entries are indeed about the Bucks. Not that there isn’t enough material to fill up blogs for a month of Sundays, but I didn’t and don’t want this to be one of those. Mainly because that would mean we’d have to get into the X’s and O’s of football. I can hang in that type of conversation up to the point where I fall asleep or drive the car in to a bridge abutment. Now having said all that, in the absence of some help from my muse or some other brainstorm, the Buckeyes are the mama to which I run home.

This is one of those days.

It could only mean a few things when a college football team gets nearly 30,000 people to a late evening practice like OSU did yesterday.
- There’s nothing going on in Columbus on a Monday night in the summer.
- It’s in the ‘Shoe and people look for any reason to go to the Ohio’s version of the Western (Wailing) Wall.
- Overrated or not the Buckeyes are on top of every preseason poll
- FREE AUTOGRAPHS.


These people are conducting tailgating and grilling practice. They are also playing a game, which really desperately needs a new name. Cornhole.
"It was 5:40 p.m., and the event was the Ohio State football team’s autograph session and open practice. It looked like a game day, with tailgaters and cornhole games and smoke wafting up from grills."

(We have the same game and call it Baggo. It may not be a great name but it so much less fecal than the other.)

If in Columbus, I don’t think I would have attended this practice and signing session but it certainly is a signal of just how close the greatest season of the year is from starting.

We are only 11 days from game one. I’m so excited…..And nervous.

No comments: