Thursday, August 03, 2006

Being Avis would be better…


At least when it comes to AP pre-season NCAA Football rankings. Here’s a stat for you – Only eight teams since 1950 have captured the (mythical) national title who also started the year ranked #1. One team, Oklahoma, nabbed four of those championships. That’s less than a 15% chance of essentially going wire to wire. Though I don’t know if any of those teams fell out of the top spot only to gain it back later. I’ll leave that level of research to someone else.

So imagine my consternation when every college football prognostication mag in the country has the Buckeyes pre-season number 1. I think they can win it all this year too, but damn. If I feel it, doesn’t the pressure of being ranked #1 have to be felt on the team. These kids have to watch ESPN or read the local papers, to be sure. How does a coach keep his players from getting a big head and overlooking the details? Details like blocking assignments and bitch slapping teams your supposed to like NIU while still getting up for games again Texas and the transvestite hookers from Ann Arbor. I’m sure there is generic coach speak to answer this question. ‘Our kids focus on the little things and play as a team….blah blah blah’ I want answers! We’re a little over 3 weeks away from the opening game and I’m nearly apoplectic.

Ohio State has one thing that will keep me from the ledge. Two words – Jim F-ing Tressel. He must be a freaking unbelievably calming and leveling force on this team. He’s coached this team to a National Championship through umpteen games with victory margins thinner than water soup. He’ll deliver. Why do we need to worry that we only have 2 returning starters on the defensive squad? Pshaw. He’ll reload that sucker. That 2002-03 team didn’t have a bunch of household names on defense. There were some awesome freshmen to be sure but unproven nonetheless.

Ok. I’m better now.
I’m probably not going to get into the Xs and Os and two deeps but I’ll definitely be weighing in often about the Buckeyes.

No comments: